Tuesday, October 09, 2007

We’re Three Today! Hooray, Hooray!

UPDATE BY DYMPHA: Gates of Vienna owes its existence to the Belmont Club. Were it not for Wretchard’s inimitable style and his ability to make connections we’d not seen before, we’d never have begun our own blog.

Actually, we were getting so verbose in the comments that courtesy required us to move along and quit hogging the comment thread.

Even now, Wretchard's achievements remains my gold standard.


Happy Birthday to UsIt doesn’t seem like three years.

It feels like forever that I’ve been arguing with hardliners, googling for jihad photos, deleting referral spam comments, ignoring trolls, and reading two or three hundred emails a day…

But time flies when you’re having fun, right?

Seriously, we never thought that Gates of Vienna would come as far as it has, and we’re grateful for all the readers, commenters, correspondents, translators, and tipsters who make it possible — and worth doing.

So what would our thrilling song be?

How about “Silver Threads Among the Gold”? Or “Dry Bones”?

Or maybe “Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner”?

Nah. I’ll pick this one for the Gates of Vienna birthday song:
- - - - - - - - -
Constantinople
by Al Stewart


Across the western world
The fights are going down
The gypsy armies of the evening
Have lit their fires across
The nether side of town
They will not pass this way again

So here in the night
Leave your home it’s time for running
Out of the light
I see the hosts of Mohammed coming

The Holy Sister bars her doors against the East
Her house has stood too long divided
The uninvited guests are breaking up the feast
She may not bid them leave again

So here in the night
Leave your home it’s time for running
Out of the light
I see the hosts of Mohammed coming

I dreamed I stood like this before
And I’m sure the words that I heard then
Were much the same
It’s just an old Greek tragedy they’re acting here
Held over by popular acclaim

So here in the night
Leave your home it’s time for running
Out of the light
I see the hosts of Mohammed coming

14 comments:

History Snark said...

Wow. Congrats on the anniversary. I like the song, too. Guess I'll have to look for another Stewart song.

He should pay you a commission, since I've downloaded about 10 of his songs since you first wrote about him.

Keep up the great work.

But my vote for song would've been "A.D.D.", for all the politicos.

:)

kepiblanc said...

Congratulations, Dymphna & Baron !
It really gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to know that smart Americans do not consider Europe doomed and realize that America's best option is to fight barbarism at the ramparts rather than in the backyard.

ziontruth said...

Congratulations on the anniversary of one of my two blogfathers! (The other is LGF.)

Three years of providing the sorely lacking global perspective on the war with Islam, the antidote to those who propagate the splintered, disconnected and, above all, false view of "nationalistic land disputes" and "separatist struggles" instead.

locomotivebreath1901 said...

Oooo. Al Stewart. Good choice.

But isn't it, "Fun flies when you're doing time?"

Anyways...congrats to you & your lovely bride.

Conservative Swede said...

Many congratulations! My reaction is the same, has it been only three years? Anyway, this is my favorite place to come and agree and disagree.

hank_F_M said...

! ! ! C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !

Don’t forget to take time to have fun – and watch out; ladders are an Islamist plot. :- )

Dymphna said...

Thanks, y'all. We all know who does the heavy lifting (and thinking)around here. The Baron has such perseverance!

Hank--

I figured out that it's really a Chinese plot: what has been the factor in both yard mishaps were my garden clogs. They are thick and good for keeping mud off your feet, but I was a barefoot girl for too many years to be able to really *feel* where my feet are with those darn things.

It's back to PF Flyers for me...my prehensile toes can actually feel where I am in skinny little Keds....I think the Brits used to call them plimsoles?

Anyway, glad I figured it out. Now I'm willing to walk in the yard again.

I'd go barefoot but the yellow jackets and spiny caterpillars have disabused me of that notion.

Ypp said...

Congratuations. Yours is one of the best blogs in this corner of the galaxy.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GATES OF VIENNA!!

And, a hundred-thousand thanks for your dedicated, always informative and always thought-provoking blogging!

Hibernia Girl :-)

Subvet said...

Keep up the good fight. You're sorely needed.

Wally Ballou said...

Happy t'ree from WB

Simon de Montfort said...

Congrats. B & D

"Keine Rosen ohne Dornen"

( no roses without thorns; it resonates better in Deutsch )

Anonymous said...

Late to the party as usual, but none the less, Happy Anniversary. It has been three years of very informative posts on a subject critical to our survival.

May you always continue.

Counter-Jihadist said...

Wisdom, clarity, Fjordman, and Al Stewart references - all in the same blog!

Congratulations on 3 years!

cj